Music Banter - View Single Post - I, Me, My Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Hmm, let's see. Finding out what I loved after my Metallica phase is quite hard. I was becoming a cliché teenage girl, that buys a teen magazine to get a picture of Daniel Radcliff (I was a big Harry Potter geek, and still am -without the Radcliff love though). So I don't think there's much to talk about in this period, still I'm gonna include it as a journal entry cause these years somehow introduced me to Rock (very bad commercial Rock, but Rock nonetheless).

I- My beginnings in music 7.1

My introduction to Rock -the Mtv phase

I think I can put the albums that somehow were the favourites of that era. Albums that are still guilty pleasures, and that I can still sing all of their songs having memorized the lyrics and melodies by heart:

-Fallen (2003) by Evanescence
-200 km/h in the Wrong Lane (2002) by t.A.T.u
-Let Go (2002) by Avril Lavigne

I think I'm gonna review them three, I just was obsessed with those albums in 2003, and these were the first albums that I bought an original copy of. [Virgin Megastore had just opened in Beirut].

Fallen (2003) - Evanescence

I guess it was kind of expected to find myself loving these, in my eye, "talented women". In this stage of life when I needed to discover myself as a woman and all that. They were in way, what I found myself wanting to be. Not idols per se, but just some females I could look up to. And was only 12, so I wasn't that picky it seems.

I loved Evanescene from the first time I saw their music video of Bring me to Life. First for the clip, then for the music. Seeing her hanging on this window pane from some sky scraper in for some reason a beige sleeping gown, always intrigued me. Then this guitarist shows up from the window, in the apartment, and instead of helping her, he's rockin' his guitar. It was pretty hilarious and annoying at the same time. Maybe my favourite part of the song, is this conversation they get at the end with the guy somehow rapping the lyrics, which ends with her falling. I really did love it. So I just bought the album the next week. Here it is for those who forgot it or never heard of it:

I was really surprised by the album to be honest. From the first song to the last, I fell in love with it. The lyrics were maybe a bit too Emo, but I loved them, and wrote them down on my copybook (although they were already written in the album sleeve). I can get nerdy that way. My favourites were Hello and Tourniquet, I still get goosebumps from these two. Her screaming sounds so genuine, the music was in way powerful, and the lyrics describing this girl's very fragile state wonderfully. Here are my favourite two, that never were released as singles:

After that phase, I never did listen to any other Evanescence songs from another album. After David Hodges left the line up, there was no Evanescence even if Amy Lee is the image and the singer of the band.

*I'll continue with the other 2, in the next review, and once my headache is terminated.
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

Last edited by NumberNineDream; 08-06-2010 at 05:59 PM.
NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote