Music Banter - View Single Post - The 60's Psych Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #193 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Psychedelic Moods (1966) - THE DEEP

From one of the earliest Psychedelic garage bands The Deep. A very interesting album. Not an ultimate favourite, but one of the close nominees.

It balances from very energetic Garage cries to the close to macabre lazy storytelling. The psychedelia is dominant but not taking part of the whole album, which is very much refreshing. Like a very heartfelt slowtempoed tune that is accompanied by a very shy and simple arrangement would pop up from under the Garage rubble. Still it has the elements of collage, a hint of musique-concrĂȘte, the Surrealistic lyrics and the eerie atmosphere. A lot of exaggerated added reverbs, some echoes here and there, and the usual panning to the extreme. Then some playful, kind of sunshine pop tracks surprise you from time to time, giving you a break from the nightmarish ambience haunting the album.

It has its share of the ludicrousness known to the 60s albums. From members commenting on a song, to a nonsensical sound inserting itself to the mix. Which is in a way, one of my favourite characteristics of that era. It just feels like a bunch of guys having fun with their music, in contrast to the seriousness some of the tunes are suggesting. All in all, it's a well balanced album, that I find myself enjoying more and more with every spin.

Have a listen:

Every track is very different than the other, so those aren't the only styles of sound forming the album.
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote