Music Banter - View Single Post - Pleasant Treats & Lost Cookies [Or, "Reviewing my library."]
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Palatable Vera
Quad?

Dio - Dream Evil

Released in 1987
Track Listing
Night People
Dream Evil
Sunset Superman
All The Fools Sailed Away
Naked In The Rain
Overlove
I Could Have Been A Dreamer
Faces In The Window
When A Woman Cries

Up until Dream Evil, Dio's most creative aspect was their riffs. And they made great riffs. Like... really great. If you need proof, by all means, get yourself a copy of Holy Diver. But then this album came along, and ol' Ron decided that he'd put emphasis on his vocals, which really isn't a problem with a voice like that. However, because of the new emphasis, the music suffers. You really can't expect someone's voice to hold an entire album together. Not all of it suffers though. When the riffs are good, the riffs are really good. Kind of like Tony Iommi really, except he's off making **** like The Eternal Idol. I mean... some songs are weak, yes, but then you've got those pounding numbers like "Sunset Superman" and the real rockers like "I Could Have Been A Dreamer" that really showcase what Dio(the band and the guy) could do. They're the kind of stuff that helps you look over the weaker ones.

My only other complaint(besides, you know, how the riffs are lacking) is that this album is very... formulaic. Just like the other Dio albums before it, Dream Evil opens up with a thrashy, upbeat number ("Night People") [from Holy Diver, we get "Stand Up And Shout", from The Last In Line, we get "We Rock" and from Sacred Heart we get "King Of Rock And Roll"]. Then it slows down and goes to a more [insert adjective here 'cause I can't think of one. =/] sounding title track("Dream Evil")["Holy Diver", "The Last In Line", "Sacred Heart"]. Then it gets all pounding and trashy and... I guess you get the idea. It's a predictable album. It also seems like the earlier Dio albums are all carbon copies of each other, but with some variations. And I don't mind that all that much. At least it's good and that's all that matters.

Other interesting cuts include: "Faces In The Window"

7/10

Uhh... Tad short.
Palatable Vera is offline   Reply With Quote