Music Banter - View Single Post - whats better? downloading or buying cd's?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

I use downloading as a tool to decide whether or not I am willing to invest my money in a cd or not. In my youth, I spent all my money on music. Now, I own a home and have children, and whatnot, so it isn't always feasible for me to spent a lot of money on music. Priorities, you know.

If I hear a few songs I enjoy by a certain artist, I will download some of their stuff. Listen for a while, see if it whets my musical palate. If so, I will sink some money into a cd. I, too, use Amazon to buy cds.

They say it's stealing, and I suppose, technically, it is. Charging 18 bucks for a cd with maybe 3-4 good cuts (if that), in my opinion, is theft. I'm paying 100% of my money for the cd, I should get 100% effort from the artist in return.

I'm not so sure it's a legality issue with music lovers. It's more a form of protest. We're sick of price gouging, and we're doing what we have to to get our music. It's not the artist's fault. It's the music industry. However, I haven't heard of any musicians losing their homes and whatnot because of the money they lose from internet downloading.