Music Banter - View Single Post - Labels
Thread: Labels
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

some old favourites:

SST Records - I was seriously OBSESSED with this label when I was 15/16

Touch & Go - another old favourite, loads of good noise rock and post hardcore as well as some great early hardcore like Negative Approach and the Necros.

Gravity Records - focused more on emo, screamo and post hardcore bands, Antioch Arrow, Heroin, Mohinder, Clikatat Ikatowi, Angel Hair, Young Ginns and early Unwound were my favs on this one. A big favourite of mine when I was about 16.

and some more recently discovered favs:

Kranky - home to lots of excellent ambient, drone, early post-rock stuff. I think if you like one band on this label, chances are you'll enjoy the vast majority of the rest, like you said in your first post. Labradford, Stars of the Lid, Windy & Carl, Bowery Electric, Godspeed You Black Emperor's first EP, Low, Dead Texan, Jessica Bailiff, etc. All fantastic stuff.

Flying Nun - New Zealand label, and an incredibly consistent one. The Clean, The Verlaines and Bailter Space are my favourites but literally EVERY band I've heard who's on this label is well above average.

I put a lot of stock in labels actually, not really with music before the 80s though for whatever reason. There are millions of really great ones.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote