Music Banter - View Single Post - Spiderland - Slint
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #82 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
hmm...

Spiderland is much better than any Tortoise album in my opinion. On the other hand, Tortoise have such a great and consistent discography, with many more albums than Slint. Slint's first album Tweez (their only other album) is decent, but it is kinda just a Big Black/Rapeman clone... Tortoise are a more varied band with more output, but nothing they've done matches Spiderland for me.

I don't even see why people compare them, they're hardly the most similar of bands in all honesty. Slint's sound is much more informed by their punk roots than Tortoise, who don't really ever 'rock out' in the unhinged way Slint do. For me, almost all of Tortoise's albums are really great, but none of them have the same level of emotional and atmospheric depth that Spiderland has.
Agree 100% with you on this one. I'm just about finished with Tortoise (1994) and everything you've brought up here fits for me. Spiderland far more embodied their indie rock/punk rock roots, as well as having a more atmospheric depth. Listening to Tortoise was kind of like listening to a soundtrack more than story, which Spiderland had. It's definitely more of a headphones album, just so you can hear what Brian McMahan was saying. I mean I've enjoyed Tortoise very much, it's been an awesome album for this trip, but I don't see how they are comparable.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote