Music Banter - View Single Post - Tuning Drums?
Thread: Tuning Drums?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stone Birds
myspace.com/stonebirdies

for the most part drums in a drum kit probably only need to be tuned about once every couple months, and unless you're really wanting an exact pitch out of them just tune them till the tone of the drum sounds how you want it to. gravityslips is correct in the fact that cymbals are untunable (well unless you cut a piece of the cymbal but i wouldn't recommend that.) just a little tape should work but the tape will only make a difference if it's put outside of the center of the cymbal the closer to an edge the bigger difference, also putting a little tape "X" in certain places can help guide you to exact places you would want to hit the cymbals in certain parts of a song.

the one kind of drum in which pitch truly matters are rope-tuned drums, like bongos, congas, etc... (although now plenty of them have metal tuners) many people will actually tune a bongo to an exact pitch because they may want to play it chromatically. (center of drum is low-pitched and edges are higher-pitcthed this is also true with pretty much any other drum).

those are basically all the things i know about drum tuning, that i wanted to go into detail of

//\\//\\/\\/\/\/\\\\\\\\///\/\/\/\/\\////\/\\\\\///\V

[Link removed by mod, no advertising] ... Damn those mods are always gettin ya :)
Stone Birds is offline   Reply With Quote