Music Banter - View Single Post - Empowering or Degrading?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I think when we're asked a question about something like this, we tend to add our own gray areas. Idiots can mess up just about everything and I don't think its accurate to qualify things.

Should it be legal?

Is it empowering?

I'd say it has a very strong probability to be empowering, and much more so were it to be legalized. Having said that because its currently illegal in a great majority of the United States, most cases of prostitution are horribly degrading.

Theres physical abuse unless she has a John. If she does, she's exploited to the point of slave labor. Its highly unsafe, the health risks are astronomical and I'll bet the chances of pregnancy and therefore abortion are much higher also.

Legal prostitution, regulated and ritualized is empowering. Illegal; the system perpetuates the abuse.

This isn't logical you know. Since Men are the ones you'd have power over, it makes sense to suggest we might know better.
It's legal here. Safer for Kiwi's but not necessarily safe for immigrants/traffickers.