Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #3926 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Enough to decide that it doesn't do anything for me. Talk Talk and Slint are generally classed as the forerunners of Post Rock and I much prefer the experimental slant that Talk Talk had. Their Jazzy overtones lead me to bands like Maudlin Of The Well and Kayo Dot who are quite simply different class and a perfect example of what Post Rock is about.
In terms of newer post-rock bands who exemplify the good qualitiies of the genre, Kayo Dot have to be up there with the best of them. For some reason I still haven't heard Maudlin of the Well though.

Slint's music excites me a lot more than Talk Talk's though. Talk Talk are a very good band who tried a lot of new and interesting things, and their music is excellent... but for me, their music lacks the personality that Slint's music has. It's unfair to compare these bands though as they were going for totally different things and have nothing in common except for being progenitors of post-rock. And I've talked enough about how Spiderland is definitely one of the best rock albums ever, no more about it from me!
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote