Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #3928 (permalink)
debaserr
eat the masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Rofl. Upset? Hardly! Just answering your question and the comparison is valid because both Spirit Of Eden (Talk Talk) and Spiderland (Slint) are recognised as two polar ends musically that nevertheless shaped what was to become Post Rock.

Post Rock is a crap genre tag anyhow TBH. 80% of bands make what I would call Ambient Rock which is fine in a movie or a few tracks but bores the crap out of you after 3 songs. That's why I like bands that seek to stretch out from conventional barriers and try to do something different which was what post rock was supposed to be about.

BTW I didn't say I didn't like Spiderland, merely the fact that i think it's overated and I have heard better. Tis all opinion. The same as the last post mentioned Durutti Column. I really like them and apart from a jest in reply I will carry on liking them.
i suppose if you want to look at it from a genre perspective(and i agree post-rock is a pretty nondescript genre). i think the idea of 'genres' is good in the planning phase, but we have failed in our methods categorize music on a general scale. but from a musical perspective, like you said, they are polar opposites. thus, i maintain that a fair comparison can't be made.