Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's Music Dumping Ground
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

from the Weekly Music Trading Post Thread, i offer up a review

ALBUM REVIEW
Christine 23 Onna-Acid Eater

Described to me only as “some really noisy psychedelic from two Japanese people”, I really didn’t know too much what to expect. Christine 23 Onna is a two person instrumental band formed in 1993 by Yamazaki “Maso” Takushi and Toda Fusao. This album could be described as 60’s space psychedelic, with the effects giving you both a retro and otherworldly feel. even with it's abundance of "freak out" moments and tracks, it hardly ever seems to get too jarring or grating, it's that laid back kind of psychedelic that you can have on in the background and at the same time take notice when it kicks in.

Fantastico: Well the first thing I notice with this song is the combination of grounded distorted riffing and experimental soundscapes. It really hooks you into a groove that emulates a 60’s psychedelic bash.

Acid Now: Oh man, HERE’s where sh*t gets crazy. Everything hits you at once and the way that everything gets quiet and loud again melts your face in the minute and a half it goes on.

The Last Hunter: Things calm down in this next song and picks up the 60s vibe again. Has a good amount in common with the first song, but that’s not a bad thing, the fuzzy guitar and ethereal effects stick around.

Acid Eater: A freak out track, as was Acid Now, just this time everything’s a lot more defined and less wonky. While I’m not too big on freakout tracks, this is pretty good in how it’s not too all over the place but can still keep you interested.

Planet Unknown: This has a bit of a different vibe from the previous songs. The fuzz from the guitars isn’t here and is switched up for a more ambient feel. A real way to relax from the onslaught of psychedelic music you just went through.

Space Mondo Topless: Lovingly borrowing the name of this song from one of the works of sexploitation film maker Russ Meyer, this definitely has a carefree, fun in the sun kind of feel. The fuzz is back and in full force but not overbearing

Love Galactic: At this point it seems that the album has blasted off into space. Some more freaking out with a cool bleep-bloop sounding effect that plays off of the drums and other effects.

Top of Spot: The computer overlord feel of the last song gives in to a more subdued and frankly groovy song. You can’t help but move with the guitar lines and mood.

Wild Private: The rhythm guitar takes a decidedly different turn and gives into a clean funk guitar sound, but there’s still another one in fuzz mode. This song has more of a drive than some of the previous ones.

Erotopia (The Climax): The last track ends on a freak note and culminates in the building up of a lot into a blistering white noise that gives in to a fade out.

So in closing, this is a pretty fun romp of effects and trippiness, but a few parts of this album feel like they’d be forgotten immediately after listen. It also gets a bit samey after a couple of songs and doesn’t have too much surprise going for it. Even so, if you’re a fan of psychedelic music and are looking for something to chill out AND freak out to, I recommend this little gem.

Best Tracks: Fantastico, Planet Unknown, Space Mondo Topless, Love Galactic
Worst Tracks: Acid Now, Erotopia (The Climax)

Final Verdict: 6/10

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 08-26-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote