Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Expectations
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

And I remember I was so excited, too!

Vanilla, I find that the only person I ever really disappoint is myself. When that happens, I try to change my behaviors that I don't like, but I don't expect perfection in myself...or in others.

In friendships I guess I have faith that friends will do the best they can, given who they are, just like I do the best I can, given who I am and my limitations. If people can't be the people I want them to be, that is not their fault at all. I'd rather get to know who they really are, anyway, than expect them to be something they are not.

Like Cardboard Adolescent said, I feel happiness comes from within. If I find myself relying on someone else for happiness, this tells me I am probably trying to avoid something in my own life that I haven't changed but want to.

When someone does go above and beyond what I might expect, though, it does feel really nice! Like an unexpected present.

I actually think having few expectations of people is a way to protect oneself or to just be realistic. The main people in my life don't fall short of my expectations or hopes in many ways...and some of them go far beyond my expectations. My main expectation for friends is that they will try to be honest and won't go out of their way to hurt me. They mean well and know I do, too.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote