Music Banter - View Single Post - An Unstable List of Zarko's Top 75 Albums
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Gustav Holst – The Planets

Okay, this entry is more about the story behind this amazing album I suppose. I had adored this composition since my year 12 heyday, but the adoration reached an apex early this year, and best represents this epic piece. As I was fairly accustomed to, I was passed out at a mates place at 3AM whilst a few of my mates powered on. By all accounts, an hour had passed before my ears started twitching. What was that I heard? Is that the Bringer of Jollity pulsating through my brain cavity? Holy fucking shit, it is... Screw sleeping, this music is better than 50 energy drinks combined. It was as if I had slept for half a day as I went bounding through the house to where the system had been set up, and to the surprise of my mates, started ‘re-enacting’ Jupiter. They had left me for dead, but with new found vigour I powered on, not only through the key Planet songs, but enough albums for the sun the rise. The power of music... Whodathunkit? Either way, not much else to say, Jupiter and Mars are the definite stand outs here.

Black Sabbath – Vol. 4

Gotta admit, this one takes the cake for one reason only – Supernaut and Snowblind are back to back. Both songs just kicked my arse the first time I heard them, and it’s no different now. The only reason Sabbath isn’t higher up the list is because sometimes they get a bit samey, and if you sit there for long enough, Ozzy’s vocals get annoying as hell. I don’t think anyone can dispute this. For all their good points, and that includes the fact that Ozzy’s vocals are actually good in context, they just drill into my brain with any prolonged sitting. Anyway, back to Vol. 4, it isn’t perhaps the most consistent album (Changes being one of the key instigators of trouble) and it does try some interesting moves away from their sludgy doom-ness in songs such as Laguna Sunrise, but it’s better than hearing the same **** over and over again, which is what a lot of Sabbath becomes. Alas, all you need to know is that Supernaut and Snowblind are on this album, back to back no less, so it’s worth a spin.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote