Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #930 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
You assume of course that wind, love, trees, anger, and bricks are also real. Just because you can't physically perceive something doesn't negate its existence. (or prove it I suppose).
This is the crux of the problem I think religions face when trying to claim that their belief systems reflect an actual reality. If a religion has no physical proof, or uses as evidence physical "proof" that could be explained in other ways (non-supernatural ways), then there really is no logical reason, I feel, to believe that one particular religion, or any religion at all, reflects the reality of the universe and its existence.

Since you are Unicorn, you might appreciate the logo created for atheism: The Invisible Pink Unicorn. This logo describes the problem with religions that base their purported reality on unseeable, unknowable entities:

Quote:
http://www.invisiblepinkunicorn.com/ipu/home.html

The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves) is a fictional female deity in the form of a unicorn. The goddess was invented at the usenet discussion group alt.atheism as an alternative to other parody deities like Church of the SubGenius "J.R. Bob Dobbs" or Eris of the Discordianism. Quoting from the alt.atheism FAQ:

Like most Goddesses, she's invisible and highly unlikely to exist. However, there is much argument as to her exact colour, her shape and size, and other properties of her nonexistence. She burns with anger against theists, and allegedly grinds them beneath her holy hooves.

The "believers" famous sayings about faith in the invisible pink unicorn is that, like other religions, it is founded in science and faith. Science - that states that she must be invisible, since we cannot see her. Faith - because we know in our heart that the invisible pink unicorn exists. This is of course a parody of the theological reasoning of other religions.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote