Music Banter - View Single Post - What band got you really into music
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #161 (permalink)
BottleUpAndEssplode
Groupie

The first album I ever bought for myself was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory after seeing the music video for One Step Closer when I was about 11 I think. My parents only let me buy it because it didn't have any swearing in it.

After that I went through a phase of finding music that was really extreme. The heavier the better. I was into Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Metallica. Then I started getting into pop punk like Sum 41 and Blink 182. After that came bands like Taking back Sunday and stuff. I liked music like this up until I was about 14, I think, when we finally got broadband.

Ahh the wonders of the internet. It allowed me to research some of my favourite bands and find out which musicians influenced them. "Fugazi?" "Rites of Spring?" Naturally I was curious to what they sounded like and needless to say it was pretty good. I was never majorly into them though and began to get bored with the music I had. All of it sounded the same. It had began to lose all of its charm. I'd become completely disinterested in music by this point and so I started researching the 'classics'. Stuff like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Clash. As much as I hate the term I went through a Dad Rock phase until I stumbled across another classic band. The Velvet Underground. I'd seen the famous Andy Warhol painting of the banana somewhere and so I suppose that's why The Velvet Underground and Nico caught my eye. I thought I'd give it a try and wow, was I blown away. I can pretty much credit my obsession with music solely with the song Heroin. I never knew music could be that compelling and just downright cool. After that I began frantically searching for best of lists with that album in which led me to stuff like Radiohead.

Radiohead opened up a lot of doors for me. Jazz, IDM, avant garde, indie music and well here I am now writing out a very long winded version of my life story.
BottleUpAndEssplode is offline   Reply With Quote