Music Banter - View Single Post - The Toasty 50
Thread: The Toasty 50
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #119 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

#15: Boards Of Canada: Twoism

This is where it began. The band worshiped on the Twoism and WATMM forums began here. Looking back at it, it's nothing like their later work, (Geogaddi, The Campfire Headphase ect.) not at all. It's their humble beginnings as a band that produced average-ish electronic music. They never even hinted that they would be "That Nostalgic Electronica Band", they were just a band, making electronic music that provoked a creepy, stalker-ish cult following. The title song, Twoism, has always been a favourite for me. It's quite chill, without being slow, long, boring ambient music. Another good one is Oirectine, which was described appropriately as The sound of lava bubbling underwater on youtube. Boards of Canada, you guys are truly the best <3

#14: Steve Reich: Different Trains

This time, I'm reviewing the Different Trains part of the album. I honestly feel pretentious when listening to most music with violins. This is an exception. This is a piece that was pretty much what I've always wanted, it just took me years to find it. I love repetition, so it's natural that i'll love this. America Before The War is a fairly busy, citylike piece, with trains and a circa 1930's urban charm to it. The second piece, Europe During The War is significantly darker, with shrill train whistles, and twisted vocal samples. The last piece, After The War, is a revisit to the first movement, just slightly awesomer. Steve Reich is pretty much the only minimalist composer I listen to, and I am glad that I discovered him.

Last edited by Dayvan Cowboy; 08-11-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote