Music Banter - View Single Post - Facebook
Thread: Facebook
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #130 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
More ammunition for my personal hatred towards FB.

Facebook urged to act after memorial sites defaced | Reuters

I can't find any up to date links on a news story tonight that a young lad was bullied on FB who commited suicide and then his memorial page was also subject to imbeciles posting moronic comments celebrating his death. The lad's father was inter viewed and looked absolutely devastated and considering he found his dead son adds even more relevance.

FB is a tool that can be a handy tool but the owners are a bunch of cash happy twats only interested in money with no moral ideals whatsoever.
See, this is a terribly sad story. Of course it is. It is yet another event to show that online bullying is a big problem. And i feel for the lads father. I saw the interview he did on TV when he was commenting on some of the things that people have been posting on the FB memorial page and no one should tell him that he shouldn't be upset and angry about this. He is the one that came to find his son hanged after all.

But, and i hope this doesnt sound too harsh or insensitive, but how is this Facebooks fault? Could they take measures to try and ensure that these kind of comments don't get posted on the site? Sure, i guess. But Facebook did not set up this memorial page, they do not govern it, the only connection they have to it is that it is hosted on their site. By making a memorial page, the author or the admin of that page or group has *voluntarily* allowed it to be visible to the public and therefore invited these people, these strangers who never knew the kid, to join it and contribute to it by posting messages on its wall. Don't overlook the fact that this page could easily have been made to be private so that this infact could not happen.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote