Music Banter - View Single Post - 1st Soul Album and 1st Funk Album
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
First soul album was (I think) Marvin Gaye's I Want You. I'd heard the title track on the radio and liked it - and I also was intrigued by the cover art by Ernie Barnes which I'd seen featured on the "Good Times" tv show.
Liz, I was intrigued about what intrigued you about the cover art, so I looked it up while listening to "I want you" (which I have actually heard before! Phew!):

Wikipedia says Ernie Barnes had this to say about his painting:
Quote:
Ernie Barnes:
" 'Sugar Shack' is a recall of a childhood experience. It was the first time my innocence met with the sins of dance. The painting transmits rhythm so the experience is re-created in the person viewing it. To show that African-Americans utilize rhythm as a way of resolving physical tension."
I felt his perspective is interesting: he felt that "African-Americans utilize rhythm as a way of resolving physical tension." I'd say that this is true of everyone and is also true of music--it lets you get out or resolve tension.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-12-2010 at 01:47 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote