Music Banter - View Single Post - Spill Your Guts II: What You Think About MB Members' Taste In Music
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #403 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Sidewinder: He should be as happy discussing his influences as the music he so commendably seeks these days. I feel that he is reticent to talk about the music he grew up with as snippets of his posts pertain to his like of those bands still and MB is not all about finding new music. It's still OK to talk about older music and I would welcome chats of this nature.

Only Janszoon and Urban seem to not be bothered that they grew up with/still like music that is not de riguer with a modern music forum and it's a shame that there isn't more of us.
Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I try to hide my past in any way, I guess I just limit my time on here and prefer to discuss things I'm currently listening to or finding new stuff, for the most part. If I could spend all day on here and wasn't so lazy, I'd contribute more to discussions of stuff I used to listen to. I'm definitely not ashamed of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I stopped worrying about that a long time ago. I never really cared, but now since I devour so much new music it just happens that way. I'm fairly certain 75% of what I mention to the friends I hang out with regularly they will not have heard of. Now that I think about it, that has actually gotten pretty old for me. I kind of wish everyone has heard the music I listen to now...I like to talk about it.
Yeah back in my teen and college years I liked being the guy to always recommend stuff to my friends, the "obscure music guy" even though the stuff wasn't really that obscure, they just didn't know about it. But it has definitely gotten old. I'm addicted to online forums now because there seems to be no one in the real world that listens and likes to talk about good music. Or maybe I'm just antisocial and I don't interact with enough of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
If I got to fly to Italy and row a boat to an uncharted island to hear a cassette of some untrendy, obscure music there, I bet the whole experience of listening to that music would be much more meaningful to me than if I had simply found the song on the Internet or just heard it over the radio. The song would forever be linked in my mind with an adventure!
Totally agree with this post. I have many memories of searching for hard to find albums (not this great of a memory though) and it's kind of cool. These days everything is a few clicks away unless you're seeking a physical copy. But to be honest I'm ok with that, being an old man and all. Not really up for the hunt anymore.

Last edited by sidewinder; 08-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote