Music Banter - View Single Post - 1st Soul Album and 1st Funk Album
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Thanks for highlighting that, Erica - I agree that it's true of everyone, rhythm and music being a means of releasing tension. I like the fluidity of movement depicted in Barnes's portraits (no surprise there, since he was an athlete) with the exaggerated length of limbs. It seems fitting that a Barnes painting would be chosen as the cover of a Marvin ***e album, since Marvin's voice had a similar supple, soaring quality. Another interesting comment by Barnes was that he painted his characters with their eyes closed "because of our blindness to one another's humanity":
That's a beautiful interview with Ernie Barnes, Liz! I like the whole quote after the interesting one you mention about why he painted subjects with eyes closed:

Ernie Barnes:
"We fail to see the gifts and the strengths that people might possess, but we're very quick to tell them what they can't do. It is very easy for us to find fault and to slam a person who is sincerely trying to make an effort, to achieve, to strive for self-improvement, one of the deepest and most distinctive human impulses."

This quote makes me think of how music critiques can often be so harsh, and sometimes cruel. I like your critique of Marvin Gaye's voice, which you said has a "supple, soaring" quality. His voice sounds very smoooooooth to me. His music reminds me of the "Love Boat" theme song! I'm afraid that's the only soul-type song I ever heard regularly when I was younger:

"Love Boat" theme song (in lieu of actual soul and funk albums, since I've never bought any!):

Liz, did you take regular weekly journeys on the Love Boat when you were a kid, too?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-13-2010 at 07:29 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote