Music Banter - View Single Post - My Musical Opinion
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Exeggcute :3
Music Addict

Ambient House - "A music genre that first emerged in the late 1980s, is a sub-genre of house music, combining elements of acid house and ambient music. Tracks in the ambient house genre typically feature four-on-the-floor beats, synth pads, and vocal samples integrated in an atmospheric style." (Wikipedia)

Nothing going on Saturday Mornings - what better time to talk about a couple of my favourite Ambient / Ambient House artists. I'm going to write just a small amount on Fluke and Biosphere. Ambient House isn't a genre that I follow religiously, but what I did find it was good for was for background music, especially if I'm working late into the evening (like I was last term for my exams.) A nice coffee and a Fluke album kept me going long into the evening :P

So I'll talk about Fluke first. I have three Fluke albums: Six Wheels On My Wagon, Risotto and Puppy. Puppy is my favourite album, probably because I picked it up first and it has the classic "Blue Sky" on it. I find songs don't really stand out as much in Ambient House as they do in other genres, as I said, background music, so you're not checking to see what this track is called. The album flows naturally as it progresses through the tracks. I can sample you a couple of tracks, and give you all three album artworks, as I think they're amazing!

They don't seem to be on Youtube that much, though. Definitely worth checking them out - Spotify also has all their tracks! Worth remembering that it's more the album experience that's important, so next time you sit down to get something done, give Fluke a go :P

Fluke are definitely more House than Biosphere, who is more the Ambient side of Ambient House. Substrata is supposed to be the album in Ambient music, and Microgravity incorporates more House elements, and is still a spectacular album. Again, individual tracks are all very well, but this is definitely more about the album experience!

I'll be doing a large-ish thing on The Qemists some time during the week as their new album comes out on Monday - I've been waiting for at least half a year for this, so I'm very excited!