Music Banter - View Single Post - Bull of Heaven
Thread: Bull of Heaven
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tarkus
Groupie

Default Bull of Heaven

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please be nice . I actually joined this forum specifically to talk about this band in particular: Bull of Heaven. Let me prefice this by saying I have looked everywhere trying to find intelligent discussion on them, and failing to do so, hoped some of you might be able to pitch in

For those who aren't aquainted with the group, they are technically classified as 'drone', although I'd say they could more accurately described as Soundscapers. Basically, they throw all musical conventions out the window in order to do whatever they want. Anything from a Hammond organ to a leaking refridgerator or answering machine played backwards could be showcased in one of their projects.

The other unique thing about these 'projects' is that they are long. Some are just a few minutes, but most last hours. A few are over 100 hours, and the longest clocks in at just under 5 and 1/2 years of continus music (the current record for a studio album).

One of their most interesting pieces is the two month long "The Chosen Priest and Apostle of Infinite Space", which I want to listen to in it's entirety of the course of several years. But before I start I want to get in touch with some other fans (if they exist ) and find out what their experiences with the band have been like.

And for those who have never listened to any of Bull of Heaven's music before, don't let me give the impression that it is all long and impenetrable. They have many short, more easily stomached pieces. All of their music is streamed for free at their website, bullofheaven.com Bull of Heaven. Give some of it a try! A good first song is "Of What Far Sea Upon What Unknown Ground", it is only about 5 minutes and is very easy to tolerate.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions!
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote