Music Banter - View Single Post - Who is the Greatest of the Big Four of Thrash Metal?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i'd put Megadeth tops with Metallica close behind. Metallica might have been more stylistically varied but they lost some of their edge with their experimentation. Death Magnetic is almost overcompensating. on the other hand, rather than branch off into other styles Mustaine found ways to force the other styles into his metal.

Slayer and Anthrax is another kind of toss up. there's no denying Slayer is quite possibly THE metal band of metal bands, but aside from Dave Lombardo they're kind of boring, it's just too much of the same kind of intensity, as such i'd rather listen to Anthrax. i saw Slayer in concert recently and was actually yawning for most of their set (conversely i was screaming along to Megadeth minutes prior...) plus the costumes the guitar players have been wearing for years are getting effing retarded. what the hell is Jeff Hanneman supposed to be? football jersey and catcher's shin pads... since when is random surplus sporting goods metal?

having said that i'd watch Lombardo drum all day any day. the end of Raining Blood was like winding up a clockwork demon or something. mind blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote