Music Banter - View Single Post - Sugar's Musical Reflections
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #89 (permalink)
Arya Stark
"Hermione-Lite"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Those were both good songs, AwwSugar. I like the anguish and intensity of "Danse macabre"...the metal music sound of it, and the simple lyrics that are memorable for me, such as, "All my friends are skeletons. Oh you had such big big plans. Swallowed all your vitamins." Actually, I think those lines would be a very good post mortem description of me, because I realized early on that I was just a skeleton, and I could say of my life that I had big big plans and swallowed all my vitamins, trying to lengthen it and do what's right to live a long and happy life.

Do they often sing about death? I suppose a group called "Wintersleep" might!

The "A Long Flight" is a sad song. I loved the electric guitar...especially the jewel-like reverb effect that emerged near the end around 3:36. Sugar, I think I'll play this song for my child, because after I read stories to him tonight and lay down next to him to help him fall asleep, he was feeling lonely and sad...sad that one of his friends moved away last year. He was thinking tonight about how he'll probably never see that friend again, ever, and he was crying about that.

I realized his feelings of loss are getting stronger and more mature. I hadn't been aware that he has been missing this friend for a year...a long time, when one is so young. As we were discussing his feelings, I offered to tell him of friends I missed, which seemed to help him, and we agreed to make arrangements to see some of his school friends he is missing during summer. I told him that it *is* very hard when we lose someone, and I hope talking about it helps a little. This situation tonight reminded me that young people can and do have big, big issues they are concerned about.

I suspect the true emotional impact of the meaning of death will hit him soon. Maybe a sad song like "A Long Flight" will help him feel not so alone, since it reminds you that you are not alone in dealing with sadness over loss of others and eventually yourself. I mention all this because of the subject of loss, which I know you and I are both sensitive to.
Hey, Erica! I'm sorry I never answered. I thought I had, but I can't imagine it having gone this long without approval.

Did you ever get a chance to play "A Long Flight" for your son?

MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote