Music Banter - View Single Post - Garage band equivalent for PC
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
The_Mop
Groupie

What you're looking here are DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation), of which there are many:

Cockos Reaper
Sony ACID Studio
Cubase
Ableton
Sonar
Protools
Logic

The first two are free (or at least, there is a free version of ACID Studio, I'm sure...). Cubase can be effectively free because Cubase LE is often bundled with audio interfaces (varying in cost, decent ones will set you back about 50 quid). The only issue with that is Cubase LE doesn't allow you to have more than 2 VSTs running at the same time, though there are workarounds. Full version of cubase costs over 400 quid.

I personally use cubase for recording because it's MIDI editing is incredibly intuitive. Also, out of the more professional DAWs (inclding Protools and Logic) it's kinda easier to use, and it's easy to pick up as you go along.

The same goes for Ableton - you can generally find free lite versions bundled with audio interfaces. Ableton however has a drastically different UI to most normal sequencer type DAWs.

Sonar I've never used but is apaprently quite similar to Cubase.

Protools requires proprietary hardware from Digidesign (and some M-Audio interface cards) to work - it's fussy and expensive but it's the industry standard. Use only if you're serious or seriously good.

Logic is generally regarded as the protools 'alternative' - Mac only.

A lot of people would mention in threads like this that Audacity is good for free recording. This is only half true. Audacity,really, is an audio editor - not a DAW. It has all the capabilities of capturing audio, but cannot sequence it anywhere near as easily as any other DAW as there is no musical/time grid to snap to*. Also MIDI isn't covered at all.

* Yours truly had to sequence a school music project on Audacity. Never again.
The_Mop is offline   Reply With Quote