Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog & Fusion Album Club
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #71 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

The response on Close to the Edge has, although somewhat predictably, been a lot better than it has with the earlier albums, so I'm thinking perhaps getting another classic album for next week might be good as well.

So then I'd like to suggest ..

Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison (1975)

French Canadian band Harmonium has a short discography of only 3 studio albums. Si on avait.. is their second album and commonly considered their magnum opus. Although not the most obvious pick to newcomers of the genre, the album is still widely appreciated by progheads. To give you an idea of just how much, it currently sits at #14 in progarchives list of the 100 best prog albums throughout the ages which is impressive, I think, considering most of the places above it are filled by the giants of the genre like King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Pink floyd and Genesis who have a lot more albums in their discography and, likely, a lot more fans.

In other words, their ranking in the list is more likely due to the strength of the album rather than people just voting up their favourite band and this record is indeed a good one. Reverby flutes, acoustic guitar, layered harmonious vocals and beautiful melodies is what this album is about. Well, there are some other things thrown into the mix as well of course. Anyways, for a prog album, it is not very challenging, but rather easy to get into and very comfortable on the ears. There are 5 songs in all, each one meant to represent one season with the 5th being the "new" season .. I guess a bit like the fifth element.

Anyways, I guess some here will know this one well and for you who don't, consider this a warm recommendation