Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

The interesting thing for me about CttE is how, besides the themes of enlightenment and such, the structures of the three songs themselves are utterly impeccable and full of little nuances beyond the technicality involved. The title track itself reminds me a lot, for example, of those creation stories you read about in various mythology: it spends a few minutes burbling in chaos and dissonance at the beginning before coming together in a big "eureka" moment around 2:54 or so. Or the layered guitar outro in Siberian Khatru, etc. etc.

Hence, what makes CttE special and untouchable for me are not the lyrical themes, execution nor even the musical themes, but the bloody genius of how each track seems extensively whole and self-referential despite their long lengths. Much like some of the best classical music centuries ago, the architecture and coherence that's gone into this album is simply flabbergasting to me even now. Especially when you compare it to a lot of today's standards in prog. and songwriting on the whole. xD

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 08-18-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote