Music Banter - View Single Post - Did they ever make funky beatknik jazz in the 60's
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rotter View Post
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I think Satchmo has descriptively hit the nail on the head in what I'm looking for.

Was there a wave of jazz artists in the 60's that blended swing and acid jazz that weren't largely confined to the television scores? I like Mancini, but I guess I'm wondering if acid swing was ever largely recorded by underground jazz musichans on 45's and lp's? Cheers.
The Jazz guitarists Wes Montgomery and Grant Green were the primary purveyor of The original acid jazz the likes of what you're seeking. The term is actually used to describe a few different genres not all of which are even jazz. There were so few notable acid jazz artist, primarily because the sound was so west coast influenced. It was a very short-lived sub-genre of jazz, with most of it being produced for television and movies.

You'd probably do well to explore Bossa Nova as a genre. A lot of the same elements of swing and acid jazz can be found in roots bossa nova. A lot of those 50's -70's soundtracks drew heavily from that genre. Of course it does have a distinct latin flavor too it, but I'd Definitely recommend some Antonio Carlos Jobim to anyone. Mr. Dave's suggestion of Charles Mingus was pretty on point too if you want to hear a heavier leaning toward the swing end of things.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote