Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #1582 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

Bannister sent me:

Agent Orange - Living in Darkness

Considering I know pretty much nothing about Punk at all, I had not a clue what to expect. I knew a little bit of hardcore like The Casualties (because some kid I went to school with crazy hair always had their patch on his back). But when I'd finally got it and saw song names like Bloodstains, Too Young to Die, and Everything Turns Grey.. I was pretty excited.

The opening song Bloodstains really floored me. Dark lyrics, a hell of a lot of energy, and an old charm which I kind of lack. I mean, Bathory - Bathory is from 84' but that's about the oldest thing I have. From song to song it really varies and they're bringing other stuff to the table. More than just Punk. What are the other influences? Damned if I know. At some points it almost reminds me of Surf music, at some points I wonder if maybe I have heard some Punk before back when I was very young, and then at some points I get blindsided by screaming like in Bloodstains (note: I did not go in order.. like usual). Being the big "dark music" face that I am, I had no idea "surf rock" (is that what it's called?) would ever get even close to what I'd enjoy, but this is coming from the guy who at once said he hated Folk.. but now has a Folk artist as one of his most played. But I really am surprised on how this sounds for being almost 10 years older than I am. I really wish I could have been there to see the parent's faces when they heard stuff like this. Must've been great.

Well, I'd like to say more but I can't. I was hoping to make comparisons but since I know **** about the genre, that makes it impossible. Well.. I do hear some Hardcore influence which is nice. Or maybe, this influenced Hardcore See what I did there? I'm not used to listening to albums like this that really come from the beginning of a genre's creation. Except for what I already listen to. Overall I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would, especially the darker and faster songs. I think that comes from me going to what I know. But yes. I'd suggest this to pretty much anyone. Especially YOU. Thanks Bananister!

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote