Music Banter - View Single Post - Post-Rock Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #432 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

TWDY released a pretty boring EP a few months ago, but I just now read this little blurb for it: MAGIC BULLET RECORDS ยป This Will Destroy You “Moving on the Edges of Things” 12″

Basically, if you didn't read that little blurb, what it says is that the only reason why TWDY moved in this new direction is because they were upset with people pigeonholing them into the "Post-Rock" category. They said that their EP was "motivated entirely by hatred, disgust, and pure disdain for those that have claimed the band’s previous work to embarrassingly trendy musical genres and those who try to work it into religious ideologies". It wasn't motivated by an actually musical epiphane, or a true wish to try out the genre... They just got tired of having ridiculous fans whose musical back catalog is Explosions in the Sky, MONO, God is an Astronaut and This Will Destroy You. I have no clue where the religious nonsense is coming from, but whatever. Maybe they feel that somebody claiming music as a spiritual outlet is wrong.

If that doesn't sell it to you, they're also "shunning every trace of the “post-rock” tag and making a very clear musical statement that should effectively shun all Christians and other religious zealots from ever claiming the band as “theirs” again". Is it just me... Or does this just sound really... Ludicrous? Feel free to prove me wrong, but they basically just said that because of the way some people view the band, they want to 'break free' of the moniker. This sounds a lot like a kid who is very good at swimming, and everybody compares him to another good swimmer, so the kid decides 'Wow **** swimming you're all a bunch of tools' and decides to do cross country instead, which he falls on his face doing. Instead of evolving naturally, they're forcefully evolving out of immature hatred for their fanbase. I know that Explosions in the Sky comparisons to this band are laughable at a certain extent, and they do irritate me too... But I could always just prove them wrong rationally and not say "WELL HEY TWDY DOES AMBIENT DRONE NOW EITS DONT SO HA!".

I know that a lot of great things happen when bands get pissed off with what surrounds them, sure... A lot of great albums wouldn't have arrived at our doorstep if certain fans hadn't irritated a band enough. But on their latest EP, which I originally saw as just a fluke, they were motivated by disdain for religion and crescendos. I'm doubting the motivation for Tunnel Blanket will be much different, and therefore, I'm almost thinking that it's going to be equally as underwhelming. I really want to be proved wrong. I still have hope, but with laughable write-ups like the one I linked here, I don't know how long I'll stay hopeful.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote