Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #45 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

I've suffered from a low-grade mild depression my entire life. In some ways it has had a debilitating effect on me in other ways it has shaped a lot of the positive attributes of who I am. People who are depressed tend to be more contemplative and introspective and give more weight to spiritual, psychological, and philosophical issues than others. The exploration of the self along with the exploration of root cause of depression has lead me down some very unconventional paths that I do not regret following, and have made the person I am today.

@Spike: The onset of depression as an epidemic in our culture (as well as the mass onset of ADD/ADHD) coincides directly with two things: the advent of television and mass media and the introduction of preservatives and artificial ingredients in our foods, so your recommendation of a healthier diet and exercise as ways to stave off depression is a very good one. For some that impetus may be lacking and I think that Anti-depressant medication can be a good last resort tool to get the ball rolling, but I'm not very fond of the idea except for in last resort scenarios.