Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #1583 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

^ Good to see another review. That makes it only 2 more to come in. If whoever's still due to type something about their album up here could do so, it'd be awesome if we could feedback on every album before starting the new trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
^I'm glad you found it interesting. I agree, the post-rock tag can be applied to this only very broadly, mainly as a time frame. It's interesting to me that you felt an industrial vibe there. That metallic feel of 'Underdog' (which is probably my favorite) and other tracks, I usually associate with that weird tunings one can find in early Sonic Youth and Glenn Branca, that hollow sound. But, yeah, metallic, industrial...I can see the connection, except, that vibe is gained with traditional rock instruments (guitars mainly). And, yeah, the best tracks are those where that improvisation is utilized in concrete structures and 'Snowy' is truly epic. It's really sad that they haven't recorded anything else.

Sure, I'll check out Manafon by David Sylvian. I've heard very little by him, but he was always one of those musicians I've been meaning to explore. Thanks.
Well, industrial in the sense that the album reminde me of Einsturzende Neubauten who, incidentally, I haven't listened to in waaaaay too long. The whole album sounded like some industrial form of jazzy post-rock to me...or at least the longer cuts did.

Also, I doubt you'll have much trouble finding a link, but I'm here if you need one. If all you've heard of David Sylvian is his work with Japan or Secrets Of the Beehive, be prepared for something hella different - Manafon has that same industrial/jazzy vibe I talked about in the review to it, so it's something you might quite dig.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote