Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #60 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I think that at its core, the act of suicide is cowardly. I recognise that you could say that someone has the right to take control of their own life and maybe that includes the choice to end it but if you have issues which lead to you deciding to end your life rather than deal with them then you are passing these issues onto those you leave behind and that, in my opinion, is selfish.

However, I also think it depends entirely on cirumstances.

Some peoples attitude towards those with depression is disgusting. Everyone who is depressed, everyone who harms themselves, everyone who kills themselves are attention seeking whores who won't be missed. It's really beyond me how some people can be so ignorant. People say that some of these individuals who have gone through with it and killed themselves should have made more of an effort to seek help but frankly, it doesn't seem that others are always willing to help. For example, one of the things that annoys me greatly is that i have encountered people who harm themselves simply to get attention. Where some may hide it as it embarrasses them or is personal, others will start to wear t shirts or roll their sleeves up, maybe cover their skin in bandages, anything to bait people into asking questions and paying them attention.

Even though this irritates me to no end, i can also see why some people might do it. They may simply just be reaching out to someone to help them as it's not always as black and white as "be depressed" and "don't be depressed." Sometimes people just really need to push themselves and feel they need someone to help them through their recovery as they can't do it on their own. Alot of drug addicts and smokers feel the exact same way about kicking a habit or an addiction, they simply don't feel they have the motivation or the will power on their own. But even so, how many times have you heard someone say something along the lines of "Let them kill themselves" or "I hope the next time they cut themselves, they slit their wrists!" and write these people off as nothing but attention seekers, whiners and complainers. How about you try to open your tiny little mind for a moment to the possibility that everything is that not necessarily as you see it yourself and that with a change of attitude from these kind of people, there could be less and less people suffering from depression/commiting suicide and less of an issue for you to to be so quick to pass judgement on.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust