Music Banter - View Single Post - Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (1974)
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
dankrsta

I know I'm terribly late on this, sorry. But I suppose it's better late than never. I've been listening to this album a lot lately, especially this week and I am sort of speechless. When I previewed it briefly on You Tube (when it was suggested for this album club) I had a feeling it'll be great. Now, after many listens it's shaping up to be a masterpiece, actually. I don't think I can objectively and formally analyze it, I am completely mesmerized by it. It is so emotional, magical and...seductive. Yeah, I think that's the right word. It actually has the power to make me listen to it again, right after it finishes. Well, that's pretty rare for me, especially lately.

The music is so richly layered and full of subtleties, so deeply textured and beautiful. Every song here is perfect and I can't really single out favorites. All I can say is that I was completely hypnotized on the first hearing by 'Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road', the first one. Or maybe it was the second one, Robin Hood? Well, I'm not sure anymore, they're both great. Lyrics are very bizarre most of the time, but have something so charming and honest about them. I can't quite figure out all the meanings, but, in the end, does it matter? The sound of it is more important here, for me, than the meaning. It invites you to turn off your logic and just let yourself go with the flow. Because, this album is, in a strange way, spiritual and sensual at the same time, kind of like water (as Seltzer so perfectly pointed out in his post).

I'd say this album is actually perfect, which is a rare thing for me to say, especially for a new favorite. So, yeah, I've been totally seduced by this.

Last edited by dankrsta; 08-23-2010 at 11:33 AM.
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote