Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's Music Dumping Ground
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
Marcy Playground - Poppies

this song's an upbeat little number with some catchy guitar lines and singing that brings you back to that nice little midway point in 90s music between grunge and bubblegum pop where bands weren't afraid to mix a bit of musicality with a pop sensibility and a positive feel. In the end, this song isn't something that you have to over-think or something that feels brainless, it's something in between that goes down smooth.
I like the sound of the "Poppies" song, too, Antonio, thanks mostly to the guitars but also to the serious subject matter, which appears to be the opium trade and the British empire's unethical behavior toward India and China. I think the song refers partly to this sad story from history:

"China had a positive balance sheet in trading with the British, which led to a decrease of the British silver stocks. Therefore, the British tried to encourage Chinese opium use to enhance their balance, and they delivered it from Indian provinces under British control. A massive confiscation of opium by the Chinese emperor, who tried to stop the opium deliveries, led to two Opium Wars in 1839 and 1858, in which Britain suppressed China and traded opium all over the country."
Opium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote