Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #847 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Forbidden Colours
A Beginner's Guide To David Sylvian

genre: avante-garde, ambient electronica, art-rock, minimalist jazz, folk-rock, new wave

^ It's kinda weird how obscure a good 90% of the works of the man born David Alan Batt are, what with how hard they are to find both on and offline. I mean, hell, I don't even have every official album he's been involved with myself, but the below selections account for a good propotion of the man's sound.

David Sylvian then...you might have heard a Japan song or two (for whom he was the lead singer), you might have heard the oh-so familiar chimes of Forbidden Colours somewhere before, or you might be completely in the dark. What's important though is that Sylvian is one of the six singer-songwriters that I'll always put a notch or two above just about anyone else in music. Each of the other five have a sense of edge and character unique to them that gives them one over the rest in my eyes, and Sylvian is no different for me. Not only does he have what I'll always see as the joint-best voice to emerge from rock or pop music bar none (well, except the other guy), not only is he adventurous enough to stay consistently intriguing over the course of his 30-odd year professional career...well, I guess I'll let you figure the rest out.

Also, it took me fucking ages to put the two below covers together and hotlink several videos to their places in the tracklisting, so it must be worth it eh

Part 1: How Little We Need To Be Happy

1. I Surrender [Dead Bees On a Cake]
2. The Healing Place [Gone To Earth]
3. Epiphany [Approaching Silence]
4. Where the Railroad Meets the Sea [Gone To Earth]
5. Orpheus [Secrets Of the Beehive]
6. Red Guitar [Brilliant Trees]
7. Ink In the Well [Brilliant Trees]
8. The Shining Of Things [Dead Bees On a Cake]
9. How Little We Need To Be Happy [Blemish]
10. The Rabbit Skinner [Manafon]
11. Late Night Shopping [Blemish]
12. The Department Of Dead Letters [Manafon]
13. Forbidden Colours (the Cult Of Eurydice) [Secrets Of the Beehive]
total running time: 57:02

Part 2: Giant Empty Iron Vessels

1. Premonition (Giant Empty Iron Vessels) [w/ Holger Czukay - Plight & Premonition]
2. Big Wheels In Shanty Town [Rain Tree Crow - s/t]
3. The Day the Earth Stole Heaven [Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow]
4. Blackwater [Rain Tree Crow - s/t]
5. The Scent Of Magnolia [w/ Ryuichi Sakamoto - World Citizen EP]
6. All Tomorrow's Parties [Japan - Quiet Life]
7. Ghosts [Japan - Tin Drum]
8. My New Career [Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids]
9. The Other Side Of Life [Japan - Quiet Life]
10. Canton [Japan - Tin Drum]
11. The Banality Of Evil [Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow]
12. Nightporter [Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids]
total running time: 78:52

^ Pics = linksies. Enjoy!

I think it's worth mentioning that the track I named the whole comp after's just about my favourite song of all time too, so there!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote