Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #76 (permalink)
Spike*Spiegel
Five Feet of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Before we go any further here, I would like to know what your definition of depression is?
Dictionary.com describes depression as, "Emotional dejection and withdrawal; Sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason."
I mostly agree with this statement; however, it is much deeper than words can really describe accurately. It is more like a loss of interest in EVERYTHING including living. I understand perfectly what it's like-- to my utter embarrassement, I've got the literal scars to prove it. It took a long time and a bit of perspective for me to wake up and realize what I was doing to my family and myself. The information was in front of me the entire time, but I went along with it sort of half-assedly. (I hope that makes sense. ) I showed up to the doc when my family sent me, I took the pills and sought counsel, but the defining moment that motivated me to really do something about it, was when I stepped out of my shoes for a moment and saw what was happening to my life and my family. I'm not trying to be a self-righteous prick, I'm just trying to say that the only way a suicidal/depressed person is going to get better is if they put their self-centered (don't take that the wrong way, because somebody will likely be offended by that word) aside and really think about what's happened to their health, loved ones and life they used to enjoy. You need to help yourself. Even if that just means calling a doctor or just a friend, for perspective. This is just my opinion, though, so don't get all froggy over it.