Music Banter - View Single Post - The Toasty 50
Thread: The Toasty 50
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #157 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

Since my brother thought it would be funny to boot me off of the internet yesterday, and make us have to call the internet company because he did it wrong, I wrote a few reviews on notepad, here's #7:

#7: Panda Bear: Person Pitch

Ah, yes. This overhyped thing. I usually hate pitchfork-hyped indie crap, but this is awesome! (same thing goes with most of Animal Collective's stuff. I don't understand the amount of hate that goes around AnCo) This album, made by the ledgendary Pitchfork god Panda Bear, gained lots of attention back in '07, claiming a "love it or hate it" status among the music nerd croud. I personally love this album. I'm a sucker for minimalism and repetition, so I was pretty much in love with the album by the first track. I honestly didn't want to like this album, either, because I hated the Animal Collective fans. After I finally accepted the fact that this album is actually good, it started to climb my personal top abum charts.

The first track, Comfy In Nautica, is a happy, sunny track that features the repetition I love, with beautiful reverberated vocals, and I swear to god Panda Bear sampled himself on this song. If you've heard his rarer solo album, Young Prayer, you should be able to recognize the clapping from Untitled 5 in the background. I could be mistaken, though. The next song, Take Pills, opens with an unidenifiable sound, that serves as a form of percussion in the background, making way for Panda Bear's hazy, harmonized vocals. once the first part is over, an acoustic guitar sample comes in and ups the tempo a bit. The song is more upbeat at this point. Sure, I have no Idea what on earth the Panda Bro is saying, but I like what I hear. the song takes a stop with that sound that an airplane makes when it tells you to put your seatbelt on. There's some ambient noise and then the song fades into nothing. The most recognized song on the album, Bros, is one of the long songs on the album. It's the most repetitive, and it evolves very slowly, but if you listen close enough, you'll be able to hear lots of subtle noises. From the odd crying and screaming samples to the sound of passing cars, and much more. about halfway through the song, it begins to go somewheres. It features a new guitar sample and the sound of slowed speech. the vocals shift a bit, and don't seem to be saying much, but that's okay. This song is one of the two twelve minute songs, clocking in at exactly 12:30, which seems to go by really fast, and seems like 6.00 rather than 12:30. That's a pretty hard feat, too. The next song, (a personal favourite) I'm Not features creepy gothic voices in the background and a drum pattern you'd expect in a downtempo electronica song. And then you've got Noah Lennox's Gorgeous vocals on top of that. My absolute favourite of the record, Good Girl/Carrots is the best 12:00 song here. it's 12 seconds longer than Bros, but is it ever good! it features alien-eque vocals in the first part, in a soup of unidentifiable samples from lord knows where. The second part of the song, is much more happy and upbeat, with ledgible lyrics this time. I love the parts where the vocals on part two are reverberated, which makes the song even more hazy. In the background, there are plenty of echoey zooms and swooshes, which contributes to the atmosphere of the piece. the next part, starts out with a groovy, gothic sounding intro, and takes a music-box-esque turn, with an early Kraftwerk sample. Lennox's vocals are as hazy as ever on the third part, with those signature harmonies he used with his band Animal Collective. the next track Search For Delicious is a droney-ambient song, which extremely stunning, sonically, with little glimpses of Panda Bro's voice, in a stew of repetition and atmosphere. The last song, Ponytail, Is a nice ending to a near-perfect album. It reminds me of a videogame I had when I was younger, for some reason. This is a fantastic Minimalist-pop album. Even if you don't like it, at least understand the appeal. (And no, B cuz der on druuugz an teh hiptas think der kewl cuz dere rebelz is not a valid answer. Think musically.)
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote