Music Banter - View Single Post - Dirty Life & Times - An In Depth Look At Warren Zevon
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
jtwilliams
Lost In A Purple Haze

Default Dirty Life & Times - An In Depth Look At Warren Zevon

Hello MB! Here is my first try at a giant review/history thread. Suggestions are welcome! Hope you all enjoy. So here it is:

Warren Zevon - Dirty Life & Times

So thanks to Jedey here is Warren first musical breakthrough:

Lyme & Cybelle - Follow Me

Personally I like the song. But it definitely does not foreshadow the rest of Warren's career. What I found was that Lyme & Cybelle only released 3 songs, the one post being the only one to attain chart success and recognition.

Also unfortunately I am going to skip Wanted Dead Or Alive (1969)
Because I have yet to find a copy. I am going to go chronologically through his Solo works from 1976's S/T - 2003's The Wind. If you feel I missed out on anything let me know and I will be sure to fix it.

I want this thread to give something back to MB, just as it have given something back to me, so I want no mistakes here. Thanks!

A little history:

After no success came with his first try in 69', Warren got his big break through back in 1975 when Jackson Browne produced his S/T. Being unknown at this time, Warren was lucky to have quite an array of great musicians play on this album.
Famous musicians credited on the album:

Phil Everly, Jackson Browne, Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks, Glenn Frey & Don Henley and Bonnie Raitt. Also less known Waddy Wachtel a long time Zevon collaborator & fantastic guitar player.

Later Warren would work with the likes of Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen & Dave Gilmour just to name a few.

Review Ratings will be on a 1 - 10 Scale
9 - 10 A Masterpiece in my mind.
7 - 8 Great solid album
5 - 6 Some Good songs, but not full enough
1 - 5 ....Hmmm I probably won't listen again...

So next comes the actual album review..

Warren Zevon - S/T (1976)

Track Listing:
1. Frank & Jesse James
2. Mama Couldn't Be Persuaded
3. Backs Turned Looking Down The Path
4. Hasten Down The Wind
5. Poor Poor Pitiful Me
6. The French Inhaler
7. Mohammed's Radio
8. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
9. Carmelita
10. Join Me In L.A.
11. Desperados Under The Eaves

Most notably from this album is the song "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" which was covered by Linda Ronstadt in 1977. Linda's Multi-Platinum album "Simple Dreams" also contained a cover of Zevon's "Carmelita".

This album contains quite a few recognizable hits from Zevon's catalog:
Frank & Jesse James (Though not quite as big as the others)
Hasten Down The Wind
Poor Poor Pitiful Me
The French Inhaler
Mohammed's Radio
& I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (Which is also part of the title of his Biography)

Overall I give this album a 8/10
It is a very solid album, with a real rootsy/country/rock vibe. This album does not have much of the Macbre/Demented Humor Zevon uses later on (I.E. Excitable Boy). The Musicianship is Top-Notch (judging by the names associated you can probably guess that though lol), The use of piano & saxophone really stand out to me through out the album, they are not the dominant instruments but they give it a real groovy/laid back feel that I really enjoy. Warren mostly plays Piano on this album, he would play more guitar later on. He also plays a little Harmonica here as well. To me he is a very accomplished Piano & Harmonica player. It is a little harder to tell here which such amazing musicians accompanying him, but in later reviews I'll point out where I love his work.

Back on topic: This album is not my favorite of his, but it is a good album which I thoroughly enjoy. It is a little more laid back & slower than later albums, which is why I personally rated it an 8. I prefer his more rockin' tunes. But all the songs here are well written and composed. The cohesiveness is great and I think this album is where he finally found his sound. If you like Warren at all you should check this album out. It really foreshadows his later sound, at least I think so.

This thing is getting a little long now though so I think I'll end it here for now.

Again please post any suggestions or PM them to me.

Thanks! And I hope you all enjoy

O! and if anyone wants an album of his I am sure I can get it too you.
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote