Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #79 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma View Post
Oh sure, I'm bombarded with advertisements for meds like Abilify to manage my bipolar! Guess what, I took Abilify, and it nearly ****ing killed me.
don't take this the wrong way but...

why would you take a pill that's advertised on tv that needs more air time to mention potential risks and side effects than what it claims to address?

if you have a chemical imbalance in your brain there should be direct test results that reflect this and existing treatments to handle it. if your doctor is just pushing the newest crap that's on tv then your doctor is worthless. if there is no test result showing abnormal levels of chemical activity then the issue is emotional and pills will NEVER actually fix that.

thing is, like Spike mentioned, we've been getting bombarded with messages about depression and mental illness for years now. to the point where NOT having any sort of head issue makes you the abnormal one. we've all been socially conditioned to think we need to be medicated because 'it's just too much to bear on your own'. a lot of times it's not. most issues can be overcome, it's usually not a pleasant activity, and your ego usually ends up hating you for forcing it to STFU and let you address what you need to do as opposed to what it wants you to do. you might end up losing out on what you initially thought were 'normal' and/or 'loving' relationships because they were in fact abusive and destructive.

ultimately there's no medication that's going to replace your willpower in choosing to side with your wants or your needs; and unless you've got a legitimate brain chemical imbalance that really seems to be the most salient point about depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,