Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #718 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
that may well be true. but what you need to remember is that this album came out in 1991, back when soundgasms were few and far between to most listeners. that's really what propelled this album to a whole other level. yes there were others doing similar things at the same time and earlier, but none managed to strike a chord with a generation quite the same way this album did. as lame and pretentious as this will sound, you kind of really had to be there.

plus 'Soon' is a glorious track, even though i prefer Medicine's take on that song

YouTube - Aruca by Medicine
I was wondering if anyone would mention Medicine...such a horribly underrated band. Interesting little fact - the singer is Bruce Lee's daughter. I thought that was kind of cool.

Anyway, as far as Loveless goes...you either love it or hate it. People who love soundscapes and atmosphere will usually love it while people who prefer more structured melody and progression will probably hate it. There are better shoegaze albums out there, but this one stands just a little higher than the rest simply because it is a testament to a vision that was not compromised on. No wonder Kevin Shields never looked forward to writing a new album...that guy is too much of a perfectionist.

I listened to the remastered album just last night while going to sleep on my studio phones and let me just say...there is WAYYY more going on in that music than anyone even realizes. I love having to work for the melody and subtleties of the music I listen to. It is so rewarding.