Music Banter - View Single Post - The pick thread!
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Default The pick thread!

So guys, I intend to embark upon a journey of discovery, regarding picks. Weird picks, standard picks, guages, types, materials, shapes, you name it, I'm interested in your stories!

DISCLAIMER - I'm not asking for your own reviews, only recommendations for what *I* should review

What prompts this?

Simple. I have just purchased some Jazz 3 picks with 'max grip' texture, and that are made of CARBON BLOODY FIBER. Obviously, this is a lunatics pick in concept, since carbon fiber isn't the first thing I think a pick needs to be made out of, but to my surprise they sound and play well. The max grip tech finally solves the one problem I've always had with ultex picks - The tone is great, but after a while they slip.

So, give me your pick recommendations. I'll buy a fivers worth of picks every month from Guitar Plectrums - The best plectrums & guitar picks at the best prices based on your recommendations to try new ones and see what they're like. (If your favourite pick isn't on guitarplectrums.co.uk, link me to somewhere I can buy it when you ask for the review)

The format will be this -

First impressions - Opening the packet and examining the pick.

Tone - A sliding scale of brightness vs softness of tone. I'll only start rating things 1-10 after a few reviews, to ensure I have a reasonable baseline to compare against (I suspect that my own favoured Jazz 3's will rate a comfortable 7 or 8)

Feel - How the pick feels. this probably will be the most subjective, since I know people like larger or smaller picks based on hand size and so on, but nevertheless I'll give my impressions.

Durability - I'll subject each pick to a 'stress test' - Stress test will essentially be a combination of speed picking, hard strumming, and pickslides to test how the pick stands up to abuse in the short term only. It'll be thorough enough to give an idea of whether the pick will break on you if you're a hard player, but don't expect long term testing here folks.

Overall feelings - A summary of how I find the pick, what its good for and bad for. Subjective again, but should give an impression.

SO RECOMMEND AWAY PEOPLE, WHAT PICKS SHOULD I REVIEW?

Addendum - I know there are lots of 'specialty' picks out there, and I'm happy to review them, but monetarily, £5 a month is where I set my limit for these tests. If people want me to review other picks, like Wegen's or V Picks, PLEASE let me know. I'll try and organise an option to donate via paypal to finance the purchase of these more expensive secondary picks, *if* enough people are interested. If that comes to pass, then we can try and get the fora to donate a quid here a quid there so I can afford to pay for these expensive picks and try them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 08-25-2010 at 05:24 PM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote