Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #85 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma View Post
Mr dave, you had an excellent point about "balance", I believe exactly the same thing. If I were happy all the time, I'd be much more worried than if I have some ****ty days, some just okay ones, and good ones.
glad to hear this, i was worried you might take my comments the wrong way.

it's unfortunate that your parents thought you were faking but it's a reflection of the attitude a lot of people end up getting in regards to mental illness especially with the way it's pushed in the mainstream. it makes no sense in the 90s it was all about depression, then it was all about being bipolar, then it was all about being ADD, now it's all about being on the autistic spectrum.

there's obviously no denying that it legitimately happens to some people. unfortunately pride is a b1tch and a lot of parents don't like owning up to the fact that their offspring is broken beyond their control or ability to handle. sometimes it's really not their fault, but that doesn't stop them from being stigmatized by their peers and public either. activism and awareness tried to make things better but then it became a 'look at me' thing.

from the emotional perspective i think the majority of depression stems from a breakdown of a traditional family structure and social roles. i'm NOT saying women should go back to the kitchen, not at all, but parents need to maintain a more active role in their children's lives than just being the big one who pays the bills. on top of that people need to stop worrying about possible sexist connotations towards education too. getting girls to take a cooking class in high school isn't sexist, it's teaching them a valuable life skill. i've seen a 21 year old go through a grocery store trying to buy supplies for a week, she had a box of cereal, a pack of frozen fish, and some milk. completely and thoroughly clueless on how to take care of herself, and she honestly thought she was independent and capable of living on her own before that fateful day in the grocery store, and she wondered why she had problems with anxiety...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,