Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #87 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
But I'm not sure a lack of a traditional family structure is a major cause of depression. Has there been a breakdown of a traditional family structure and social roles? Depending on how those are defined, this may actually be a good thing. Do parents really pay less attention to kids now than they did in the past? Are you meaning mostly the stress on children caused by divorce? Or the stress of living with parents who are at each other's throats a lot?
i don't see how any of situation is less crappy for the kids involved. when both parents are working full time jobs who watches the kids? is it wrong to notice a parallel in the increase in hyperactivity and anxiety with an increase in both parents working full time jobs? it's not that they don't want to pay attention it's that most only seem to provide indirect attention, and for young children that's probably not the easiest thing to interpret. it also seems kids are seen and treated like a biological investment or accessory rather than a future independent individual.

like i said i'm not saying women should go back to the kitchen. not at all. traditional roles and structure was not the best choice of words.

as for young people not being able to take care of themselves, i saw it all over the place in the dorm i lived in during college. for every young adult who actually knew how to cook a meal on a stove there were 10 who had no ability to do anything but hit buttons on the microwave. incidentally from talking to those students, every one of us who knew how to take care of ourselves had stricter upbringings and learned those skills from a parent who gave a damn about raising an independent person rather than raising the child to tell them how awesome they were for giving everything they wanted and none of what they needed.

i'm not 100% how it is now here in Canada anymore, but when i went through the system there was still a very sexist slant to elective courses like cooking and home ec. nothing was mandatory either.

you're right those 3 items in my example might make a decent daily meal (if vegetables didn't actually count for anything) but when those are the only dots you're able to connect when you think you're able to take care of yourself there's a problem. buying a case of beer and some bags of chips sounds like a normal purchase for game night or pre-bar action, now if it's the middle of the afternoon and they're telling you 'alright i've got my groceries for the week' then it's a whole other matter.

*edit*
i'm going to step out of this conversation now, i can't keep going without getting into stuff that doesn't really need to be in this thread. if you or anyone else wants to keep this going hit me up with a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,