Music Banter - View Single Post - Thoughts From A Music Major
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Default Thoughts From A Music Major

For some time now I have been debating whether to start a journal. I've finally decided to do so, and hopefully nobody minds. Yes the title kind of sucks, but this is not a creative writing forum

I've been a member for a little over a year now, but I don't think I've really gone into much detail about the music I like to listen to or why I like it. I guess you could just check out my Last FM page, but I don't always listen to music on my computer so it might be slightly inaccurate. I'm certainly not an expert at reviewing songs or albums but I often have an opinion. I don't care if nobody's interested in reading this thread or making a comment in it, but I'd like to get these ideas out there. Mostly to say that serious music students are not all stuck up snobs who only listen to the finest classical music School is starting again in a week so I will try my best to keep this updated when I have the time.

This thread will probably be more focused on individual songs or pieces rather than entire albums.

I would like to start by sharing a piece composed by Scott Joplin (1867 - 1917), the most widely recognized composer of ragtime piano music, and certainly one of the most famous African-American composers. Elite Syncopations (1902) is easily one of my favourites from his extensive catalogue.

Most, if not all, of Joplin's piano rags have been immortalized in the form of piano rolls made by Joplin himself. "Elite Sycopations" is one of them, and it's not hard to tell that a person isn't playing this piece. There are no dynamics or changes in tempo throughout the song, and certainly no personal touches that a real player would add. But I love it. The piece is a great representation of early 20th century America.

Aside from the music of Tin Pan Alley, ragtime music was the most popular genre across the United States at the end of the 19th century and into the 20th century. When I listen to "Elite Syncopations" or any other ragtime piece, I think of the silent film genre. Ragtime was used when screening silent films to keep the audience entertained and to add another dimension to the film being played on the screen. Images of honky tonk bars and saloons also come to mind.

"Elite Syncopations" in particular makes me think of a more simple time - a time before major global conflict and economic depression. A time when people were enjoying themselves and the world around them.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote