Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #90 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma View Post
They still have home ec class? I wish I would have had it, I would have owned that class
I don't know if they still have mandatory home-ec class in middle school, Paloma, but back in MY ancient day, we had a mandatory sewing class and a mandatory cooking class. The cooking class was pretty depressing, looking back at it (and trying to relate this post to depression), because the vegetarian in me cringes now at what they had us make.

For example, we had a whole section on jello, and lucky me, I got put in a group that had to make...tuna fish jello. Yes. I will repeat that. Tuna fish jello! It still boggles my mind that anyone ever thought of combining tuna and jello, and thought that this dubious cooking skill should be passed on to the next generation.

However, I did also learn (1) to wash eggs before use, which is good advice, IF I ATE EGGS, and (2) to turn pot handles IN toward the stove so you can't knock the pots off. That really is very good advice that I use to this day.

And if you give me an orange, I can cut it into a little basket with a handle, hollow it out, and fill it with fruit cocktail. Thank you, oh midwestern home-ec class, for teaching me the important life skill of turning fruit into baskets!

Now...back to depression and suicide...
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"