Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone play guitar left handed on a right handed guitar any advice?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
sinkronik
Groupie

Quote:
mrDave: i'm sorry but there are a few things about your post that are making my head cave in.

first that's not quite true and accurate about the LTD, you kind of screwed yourself out of a better guitar by jumping the gun. 4 of the 6 available Kirk Hammett models come equipped with EMGs and Alder bodies (as opposed to Basswood). they seemed to have cleaned the site quite a bit in the years since i bought my LTD too, i remember damn near 30 KH models at one point and again, you didn't have to go 'that' high to get something that shipped with EMGs.
Well, i know what you are talking about. believe me, i've had a couple of phonecalls with ESP's service, and was willing to invest serious cash in that KH-2, or the ouija. But heres the thing: ever take into consideration, that Kirk is a regular righty, and his signature guitar is only made for rightys? the only LH model available is, in fact, the KH 202 by LTD. Sad but true

So i even posted an order at ESP, but they didnt take the order seriously, at least the European distributer didnt care. ESP themself told me, they can only sell through the distributor, so....after a lot of stress i got a price quote for my custom KH 2: a round 6000 Euros (with the mods i need to be able to play, and a LH model). I didnt want to spend that much money on my second guitar, you know. I had no idea, if it would work, or wreck the whole guitar, and whether or not i could play it. (for example, palm muted power chords require us to reach down far on the guitar, since our bassstrings are the lowest). i was still having a little trouble with my Squiers konbs and the position of the whammy bar, when attached. Before investing a fortune in something unchangeable, i rather went for a guitar, i could sell again, if something went wrong. there are a lot of people like me, that ive talked to in the meantime, and it took some of them years to find out that you can reset a leftie, instead of playing a righty upside down. My next guitar will be a fine weapon....

you can have a look my the baby on our bands page, sinkronik.com, in the pictures section (where else?)

Quote:
Mrdave:also, what's the point of paying extra for a left handed instrument only to turn around and pay even more to have it setup like a cheaper, standard instrument?
See, thats why someone started this blog. The question is good, but if you, mrdave, take a leftie guitar, and pick it up the way you are used to pick up a guitar, you will notice, that the knobs of the guitar will be in your picking hands way, plus a cable will be poking your side or stick out straight (like on my sg). A whammy gbar will not be useable for you. ANd its not like we all started out as regular lefties. If you want to hang your strat around your neck, you will ahve a little problem, if you didnt replace the strap pin to the other horn of the cutaway. we picked up friends guitars, and started playing. they usually have rightys, and once you hung around their place a couple of times and get a lick like "master of puppets" down as a beginner, you wann continue that way. plus, most of us didnt think theyd play a lot, and then just happend to like it more and more.

check out my favourites in my bands youtube cannel (thesinkronik), there is a lefty-strung-righty folder in it. you see all the possiblities, and disadvantages very good.

Neapolitan actually brought me to Elizabeth Cotten, by telling about her here. i never thought finger picking could be so cool in our style.... check her out, she was born in 1892 and passed away in 1987!!!!!!

cheers for now

row

Last edited by sinkronik; 08-28-2010 at 04:26 AM.
sinkronik is offline   Reply With Quote