Music Banter - View Single Post - Dirty Life & Times - An In Depth Look At Warren Zevon
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
jtwilliams
Lost In A Purple Haze

Appendage #1 Warren Zevon - S/T

Why do I like this album?

I absolutely LOVE, old school, roots/blues/country rock type stuff. With that acoustic guitar, the piano and don't forget the liberal usage of harmonica. Damn I love harmonica! I am also quite a fan of Warren's somewhat unusual (at least to me) piano style. I just love the raw feel you get when you mix those instruments. Ya electric guitar is cool, but c'mon! Acoustic can't be beat here! Also the way Warren uses Electric guitar I am fond of. A lot of the time its not at the forefront. There are solos and what not, but I love that they are not overdone and its not about the guitar in anyway. It's more like a story. I think maybe that's what I like most, the good instrumentation of instruments I adore along with a story.
If all country music sounded more like this, I would probably be a big fan of it. But I hate they way most country artists sing.

Another reason I love Warren some much is his unique voice. I can hear a song of his for the first time, and KNOW its him. That really strikes a chord with me internally.

This album is a little less of like for me than the rest for one reason: I am also a big fan of his wierd, macbre, demented, satirical humor and lyrics. Though I am terrible at telling what the actually mean, they remind me of Tom Waits type lyrics a lot of the time. I also happen to be a big Tom fan, so go figure lol.
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote