Music Banter - View Single Post - Ke$ha
Thread: Ke$ha
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #267 (permalink)
Consolator
¬¬!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike*Spiegel View Post
I do, but I wouldn't call it elitist. We're simply expressing our distaste for what we believe to be trashy music. Don't forget, you are on a message board where others will post opinions different from your own.
I think there's a pretty fine line between not liking someone's music and being a jerk about it. To me, at least, he was bordering onto the latter. I called him elitist because of the whole "I've evolved above the radio" banter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone has to like Ke$ha (or any artist for that matter.) It's the whole paragraphs of slamming when they haven't even taken the time to listen to the album as a whole before commenting. You could argue that her album material is probably the same as the radio singles (which isn't completely far off, genre-wise the album is completely the same through and through) but there is more to artists than the radio presents. In the case for Ke$ha, the songs on the radio (apart from Your Love Is My Drug) annoy me because she paints herself to be an emotionless, alcoholic/drug-addicted party girl. On her album, there are ballads (albeit very electronic ones) where we finally see she isn't some sort of machine.

To be completely clear, I don't think pop radio is by any means a very good way to find thought-provoking, inspiring music. I see some merit in it -- sometimes I want fast, upbeat, catchy dance pop music. The radio happens to play lots of that. There's so much more to music though than the radio, I agree. For someone to purely listen to pop radio, I'd deep down think they're stupid. I'd probably try to show them other stuff. If they don't like it, oh well. It's their thing.

Last edited by Consolator; 08-28-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Consolator is offline   Reply With Quote