Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Help, Survey Studies, Poster Wants, Music Sheets Thread.
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
martlaco
Groupie

Default Animals or Moods

Hi there:
I'm in the process of compiling several collections of pieces for teaching at the high school level that are thematic and welcome suggestions, preferably ones that are not too obscure (ie. either pieces or at the very least, composers, who are more 'well-known' by the masses) and that might pique a student's interest, for whatever reason. I'm looking at three themes currently, which I hope will clarify:

1) Animals - suggest pieces that evoke an animal (e.g. birds and dogs in Vivaldi's Four Seasons; Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals; Flight of the Bumblebee, etc..)

2) Mood - suggest pieces that evoke a mood (e.g. Holst Mars; Barber Adagio for Strings, Fucik Entry of the Gladiators, etc.) - this is quite subjective, I know, and that's fine (actually, part of the point!)

3) Nationality - suggest pieces that quite tangibly evoke the sound/flavour of a nation (e.g. Slavonic Dances,..) - e.g. what would be a great example of 'French' music with accordion?; what's the classic piece that sounds Greek..? - how's that for vague.. :-)

BTW - I'd be happy to get suggestions for any of the above that are non-classical as well!!

Thanks for your help!
Martin
martlaco is offline   Reply With Quote